Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and buy Roujcoin now [ROU]
  • Newly Fucking Terrible.
  • My utopia has always been a place where IP isn't really a thing, and we find other ways to ensure comfort and reward for those who can still be bothered to actually do anything.
  • Remember those certificates people bought that said ‘you now own this star’ or ‘you have adopted this cute baby panda’? Yeah, this art thing is just like those. Except with added climate apocalypse.
  • We can argue the toss over what value cryptoart has to the end of the world, fact is people are buying it and for big money so that really is the only point that matters.

The environmental thing is fucked though. One sale is about the equivalent to a return flight from London to Rome apparently.
    That said cryptoart is small fry compare to the mining of cryptocurrency which on balance doesn't recieve anywhere near the attention on its environmental impact as a proportion of coverage.

There still seems to be a lot of "I dont get it, attack it" going on.
  • Good: 
    • It’s opened up a new opportunity for people to make money from digital artworks.
    • It’s a potential way to do rights management better.
    • The art establishment are starting to take it seriously as an option.

Neutral:
    • It’s not enabling anything that couldn’t have been enabled differently.
    • It’s a hype bubble, which will inevitably burst and settle down.
    • Holy shit a lot of the stuff selling for big money is really crap art. I mean, like ’90s rave flyer clip art bad. But that’s not a reflection of the system, just of the early adopter crowd.

Bad:
    • Blockchain in general is horrendous for energy consumption and needs overhauled pronto.
    • The token system itself guarantees nothing - it’s a baseless claim of ownership (demonstrated well by the Twitter use cases).
    • The money and tech bros have moved in and missed the whole point of digital art.
    • I’m an old man shouting The Cloud and I don’t like it.
  • As stated before, hicetnunc using Tezos claim to be very energy efficient. Sale/minting equivalent energy cost to a tweet.
    Not sure if it’s because it’s a small, not very well used coin though? It claims it’s PoS instead of PoW, but presumably if Tezos takes off and becomes big, energy costs might go up? Presumably won’t reach the stupid PoW hashing levels, but you have to wonder if any of this bollocks actually scales up to “could be used by the general population” levels.
  • Beeple today sold a piece for $69million dollars!

To rip from the opening line of The Verge article covering it. Back in October the most he had sold a print for was $100.

He is now in the top 3 highest selling, living artists.
  • Here is the Christie's link.

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/beeple-first-5000-days/beeple-b-1981-1/112924

Absolute madness.
    I know there are issues here, we covered them well but I'm pretty made up for the guy.
    He made a name by doing over 5000 daily renders, day after day everyday including Christmas.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Beeple today sold a piece for $69million dollars!

I want to say nice, but that's just too dumb to allow me to.
  • Beeple is a good guy. Couldn’t happen to a nicer geek.
  • I did 50 dailys at the start of last year so 1% of what he has done.
    I can tell you its not the doing, it only takes 45 minutes really. Its is the ideas. Beeple has big brain even accounting for the repetition of themes.
  • He’s the Simon Stålenhag of fucked-up meme-filled sci-fi renders.
  • It is surely big enough news to hit mainstream outlets. Which hopefully means there will be some pearl clutching over at the Mail.

They will say "Thats not art, anyone can do that" then link to a photo real painting of a tiger. It is always a photo real painting of a tiger, painted one to one from a photo of a tiger.
  • So that beeple art contains copyrighted characters, like pikachu, although obviously weirdly misshaped or whatever. Is there a danger of copyright owners claiming ownership and therefor this gets removed or something?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Nah. Plenty of prior cases of artists doing similar.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It is surely big enough news to hit mainstream outlets. Which hopefully means there will be some pearl clutching over at the Mail. They will say "Thats not art, anyone can do that" then link to a photo real painting of a tiger. It is always a photo real painting of a tiger, painted one to one from a photo of a tiger.
    Modern-Art-Tea-Towel_craig-Damrauer_TDDS_1024x1024_eb9c6e87-aae1-45a2-a138-bd0cce975cec_800x800.jpg?v=1568838622
  • Here’s an example of one of my major concerns about NFT stuff.

https://opensea.io/assets/globalartmuseum-rijksmuseum

Opensea is a marketplace for buying and selling digital art, certified with NFTs. That page is a collection of works for sale. Clearly labelled as ‘the Rijksmuseum Collection’.

Except it’s fuck all to do with the Rijksmuseum. That’s a collection of out-of-copyright great masters, screen grabbed/downloaded from the Rijksmuseum’s website, ‘tokenised’ by some random chancer to claim that they’re ‘unique individual works’ and offered up for sale/auction.

So what’s the point? It’s just a grift.
  • Here’s what the seller says:
    The Rijksmuseum Collection is a global initiative by the Global Art Museum, an art initiative that aims to transform grand Old Masters, from the Renaissance to Neoclassicism, into NFTs. Each rare painting in the collection is the ONLY NFT (Non-Fungible Token) in the cryptosphere to represent its namesake in The Rijksmuseum, The Netherlands. All artwork is faithful to their namesakes, right down to the smallest detail envisioned by the artist. Secured by blockchain, all artwork provenance is documented, thus preventing duplication.The artwork can be viewed by anyone around the world (transparency) and can be transferred to anyone around the world and tracked on blockchain (accountability). Every owner of the artwork will be handed a Certificate of Authenticity. Any revenue derived from sales or rental will be shared with the museum. Thus, your purchases will help to support museums financially in today's difficult COVID-19 pandemic era.

This is a con.

Global Art Museum is just a con artist. They have no links with the museum. They are not sharing any profit with the museum. It’s bullshit.
  • World has apparently gone mad.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • People actually buy from a site called opensea?! Perhaps this is just an elaborate troll?!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • poprock wrote:
    Here’s an example of one of my major concerns about NFT stuff. https://opensea.io/assets/globalartmuseum-rijksmuseum Opensea is a marketplace for buying and selling digital art, certified with NFTs. That page is a collection of works for sale. Clearly labelled as ‘the Rijksmuseum Collection’. Except it’s fuck all to do with the Rijksmuseum. That’s a collection of out-of-copyright great masters, screen grabbed/downloaded from the Rijksmuseum’s website, ‘tokenised’ by some random chancer to claim that they’re ‘unique individual works’ and offered up for sale/auction. So what’s the point? It’s just a grift.
    OpenSea is absolutely awash with grifters - e..g. the "MarbleCards" outfit https://marble.cards/ , who make "Digital Trading Cards" of websites, so they wrap the URL and get a screencap and call it a "trading card" that people can "collect" - so basically every meme gif on giphy, every interesting wikipedia page, any even semi-popular artists ahs had all their work ripped off and turned into a "digital trading card".

I guess you can't stop it, you can only hope that no fucking dipshit will see any worth in it. But if there's the chance that the "worth" will rise (i.e. they might be able to sell it on to someone else for more) then you can guarantee there will be some cryptowhale throwing digitalspacebucks at it.
  • poprock wrote:
    Here’s what the seller says:
    The Rijksmuseum Collection is a global initiative by the Global Art Museum, an art initiative that aims to transform grand Old Masters, from the Renaissance to Neoclassicism, into NFTs. Each rare painting in the collection is the ONLY NFT (Non-Fungible Token) in the cryptosphere to represent its namesake in The Rijksmuseum, The Netherlands. All artwork is faithful to their namesakes, right down to the smallest detail envisioned by the artist. Secured by blockchain, all artwork provenance is documented, thus preventing duplication.The artwork can be viewed by anyone around the world (transparency) and can be transferred to anyone around the world and tracked on blockchain (accountability). Every owner of the artwork will be handed a Certificate of Authenticity. Any revenue derived from sales or rental will be shared with the museum. Thus, your purchases will help to support museums financially in today's difficult COVID-19 pandemic era.

This is a con.

Global Art Museum is just a con artist. They have no links with the museum. They are not sharing any profit with the museum. It’s bullshit.

Poppo crypto has been 95% scams for like 5 years now
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Why did the percentage drop back then?
  • Poppo crypto has been 95% scams for like 5 years now

Yeah - so that’s why I’m so confused by this idea that it’s suddenly being taken seriously as a method of proving ownership or provenance. It’s built on sand.

But maybe that’s the point? Money has always been a consensual hallucination so why not go all-in?
  • This can't go on.
  • This kind of shit reminds me of the difficulties in seeing what the future holds for our civilisation, all the forms of abject or merely boring horror that we will create for ourselves. Tech like deepfakes will probably cause a war or two in the next decade.
  • NFTs seem a conceptually decent solution for verifying ownership in a digital environment especially when linked to something in the physical environment, such as personal IDs or digital twin identifiers etc. But using them solely for digital files that can be 100% perfectly replicated and then selling them for vast sums does indeed seem madness. That said, if an artist creates a work of art solely in the digital environment, how can they protect the original, whether they want to sell it or not.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • It’s pyramid schemes all the way down.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!