Just given up on...
  • Bloodborne is the bestest game. I’ve given up on Hollow Knight: it’s too bloody hard
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Not harder than Bloodborne, shirley?

There are definitely bits that can be too hard when you first encounter them. But you can always go somewhere else instead and come back when you've powered up more.
  • I gave up on bloodborne early on - couldn’t get past the guy with the big axe. Yet I’ve done the majority of Hollow Knight.

I’ve also completed Demon Souls and Dark Souls.
  • I should give Bloodborne a go at some point, I keep forgetting I've got it on Plus.
  • The reason why it's so frustrating is also why it's so good, you've always got something in jeopardy, whether it's Souls (sorry, Blood Echoes) or progress. But you're always tempted to go around one more corner...

Just let me pause the fucking thing.
  • Steep

I'm just not enjoying the activities and that map is janky as fuck.
  • You don’t have to use the map, but if you’re not enjoying the courses, I suppose it doesn’t matter.
  • Yeah, I only mention it because I'm amazed they managed to screw it up as much as they did.
  • Just pulled the plug on a couple of Switch games; those being

Sonic Mania Plus - quite liked Sonic Mania for being such a no nonsense, supercharged Mega Drive style Sonic.  Didn't really enjoy the new characters' special abilities introduced in Plus.  They're a little bit too fiddly for me.  Would much prefer to just zip through a level without thinking too much.  The new Yellow guy does look really cool though.

Snake Pass - if the new sonic characters are too fiddly for me, then I had no hope with this!  Anything more complex than slithering along the ground had me nearly throwing my Switch across the room.  My own fault; heard it was a collect em up platformer with complex/novel controls going in, and that's exactly what it is.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Ashen - clunky souls-like. Not my favourite genre to begin with but the first dungeon has been attempted 5 times now with AI and three humans. Failed every time. I just got quite close to killing him then he pulled out a grab and insta death on me when I had nearly full health and he was down to his last sixth. Also you don't have to walk very far when exploring to have enemies respawn.  Enough. Deleted. 

Celeste - not what I was expecting at all after going in blind. A few screens in and there's stupi combo jumps, falls into insta death that need to be experienced once to be able to know what to do and the dash on the Xbox controller seems to be very poor when it comes to direction, so for a precise platformer that's a can't be arsed from me.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Celeste - not what I was expecting at all after going in blind. A few screens in and there's stupi combo jumps, falls into insta death that need to be experienced once to be able to know what to do and the dash on the Xbox controller seems to be very poor when it comes to direction, so for a precise platformer that's a can't be arsed from me.

I had to put the easy mode on Celeste because I'm just really shit at it. It's a shame because I love the story and the cheaty mode has made the gameplay feel pretty pointless but I felt like there were too many bullshit deaths (probably still my fault tbf)
  • I’ve been struggling on with a 360 controller for sure, but I’ve managed to hit the halfway point.

I’m not sure what you mean by insta death fails that need to be experienced? It communicates its intentions quite well as far as level design goes, very few things move or react differently than you’d expect them to, if any at all. But if you are expecting to get through chapters without triple digit death figures then you might need to recalibrate your approach, or toggle with the assist options on the title screen which are very in-depth.

On the B-Side for chapter 2 I racked up 500+ deaths, so your mindset needs to be accepting of that.
  • I've posted this vid before in the Celeste thread, but it really sums it up for me:

• Hate those swift moving jerks.
  • Yeh, that video is not selling it to me.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • But he does it, because the path is clear and the techniques required are well conveyed. It’s just execution. Like learning to play a riff or a solo, or takinh a hard corner, or something else that fits this analogy.
  • The Messenger

Thoroughly enjoyed the platforming 8 bit part, great controls, great music.

Then you get to the 16 bit and freedom to travel around the map.  Initially, that is great also - fun switching between 8 and 16 bit (graphics and music), and exploring new parts of the map.

Then it descends into unfocussed wandering and I had no real idea where to go next as it's not like there are obvious parts of the map you recognise as needing an extra ability to get to.  Couple that with a few pointelessly frustrating platform sections and my desire to contine playing evaporated almost instantly.

The 8 bit part is excellent and worth playing for that.  There is probably lots I haven't seen, but naa.
  • Minor spoilers:

There's an underwater maze that you need a bell (or something, I forget) to navigate, otherwise it's an endless loop of wrong turns, with each screen presenting you with maybe five exits.  I'm pretty au fait with these games after 30 years or so, but didn't know I needed an item to progress I found the maze first, and the old hand 6th sense never kicked in.  To make matters worse, I thought the muffling of the music as you took certain exits was an audio route clue, so spent 20-30 minutes going nowhere before making my was back out and embarking a quest to find....something from somewhere.  There's a dark cave in there too, which I found before finding the candle.  Again, I didn't know a candle was required.  With that one I assumed I couldn't progress after maybe a minute of blind jumping, but in both instances a little chap saying 'don't go in there without an item' would've been a nice user-friendly concession.  I liked it, but you've seen the best of it so bravo for ditching it.
  • Bulb Boy (Switch)

Only played maybe 40 minutes. Utterly bored already.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've torn my throat shouting at Crash Bandicoot 2.

Were these games ever really that good? I remember them being frustrating as a kid but got the trilogy with my Xbox One S so gave it a go.

Everything is so woolly, really hard to tell if you will make a jump or hit an enemy. It's all the wrong kinds of difficult, it's so frustrating.

Played all 3 on this rehash. The third is tolerable. Second annoying. The first game is barely playable at times.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No, they were always fucking awful. PlayStation's answer to Mario 64, dear me.
  • Spyro is infinitely better than Crash.
    Mario and Banjo leagues above both.
  • Properly bobbins, but as a bit of crossover from the Level Design thread I was a bit obsessed with them as a kid and used to screenshots from my own Crash levels, especially the sewer style ones.
  • I think the levels and art style are quite strong (except when running towards the camera), maybe that's why they were popular. The gameplay is rotten though.
  • Definitely the weakest of the three mascot titles that appeared in that period (time has been far kinder to NiGHTS).
  • Klonoa was a better potential mascot game on PS1.
  • Yeah, Crash is trash. It's a mystery why they became so popular. It's not even a good character.
  • Diablo Eternal Collection - Switch

Still got my bone copy. And organising any kind of MP on Switch is pretty hard, so I'm onto plums with this. Hey ho.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 - Bone

Asked for it for Xmas as I liked the look of Blackout. In the time since they've patched it beyond fuckery and everyone has moved on to Apex, which is fine by me. Never played it once.

Both going towards NSMBD.
  • Bowsers Inside Story 3DS Remake

It's a beautifully presented little game but it wore away at me over the 10 hours or so I spent with it.  Found it a bit too fiddly with the controls (with the top 2 face buttons controlling Bowser on the top screen, and the bottom 2 face buttons controlling the Mario Bros on the bottom.  My muscle memory for the very top face button being the menu button in JRPG's did my head in!).  There's a bit of Nintendo DS gimmickery as well which results in a lot of varied mini games, few of which are compelling.  

Battles with the riff raff enemies are about as common as a normal JRPG, but far more involved, with having to time your button presses etc at the correct time.  Lots of button mashing is not fun on the bus.  There is something to be said about normal RPG fights that are over and done with quickly.  Found it quite disheartening, having a 2 minute fight and getting a tiny trickle of EXP for it.

Tipping point was a puzzle that required regular swapping between Bowser and Mario Bros, which takes longer than is ideal.  The puzzle wasn't hard but it was taking ages, over several screens, and was too fiddly to worry about.  It was really tedious so I pulled the pin.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Dandara pushing it, couple of other things falling by wayside.

I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!