52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • You need to do the subquests to unlock the final batch of levels.

The Odyssey stages?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You need to do the subquests to unlock the final batch of levels.
    The Odyssey stages?
    I think you just need to complete the 3 books to start playing the Odyssey stages.  

After those (in the same bonus book), there's a set of mummy chase stages.  

You can play some of those if you have found enough diamonds.  Then there's about 5-6 blank pages at the end of the bonus book that unlock once you've done all the subquests.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I'll be happy just playing the new stages, it's my second playthrough so I'm not even going for full diamonds this time.  Played a mummy stage briefly on Wii U and the fun didn't seem to balance well enough with the amount of effort it would've taken to succeed.
  • Agree with that; I liked that there is some really challenging stuff sprinkled through the game but enjoyed the more laid back stuff on the whole.  Think that’s why I lost interest in the sub quests pretty early on.
  • Nothing for a while then finished off God of War, Dead Cells (not actually finished), Guacamelee 2 and Yoku's Island Express in the last couple of weeks.

Puts me up to 20 for the year.
  • Life Is Strange Before The Storm

Don’t have much to add that hasn’t been already said earlier in this thread, from Stopharage and Webbins (and probably others!) - a lovely little game that is somewhat in the shadow of the original.  

I know these games cop a bit of shit for having teenage dialogue that’s nothing much like how modern teenage girls speak.  No idea if that’s true or not, but the heart’s definitely in the right place.  There are some very strong characters here and I think it convincingly evokes a broad range of emotions.  There’s a particular scene in the first chapter where the main character first spends time alone with her love interest that I thought was very sweet, and it struck me as the kind of thing I hardly ever see in the games I tend to play.  

Given the events that happen in the first game, the heartwarming moments are pretty upsetting and it’s a rough game to play in that regard.  As such it’s not really the sort of game I want to play all the time, but every once in a while it’s worth it.  And having said that I couldn’t resist reinstalling the original to play over the coarse of the next week or so.

With this kind of dialogue tree heavy game there will always be the odd event that doesn’t quite fit in, or you’re not left with a satisfactory response.  There’s an important choice you have to make in the final chapter where I didn’t feel quite informed, and in the second chapter I did something pretty shitty (with the best intentions!) that I was never called out on.  I don’t mind those things so much though.  The game felt good and I’m very glad to have played it.
  • The Witcher 3 - 214 hours.
    Pretty much my favourite game on Xbox and in my top 3 of all time. Absolutely loved it - incredibly detailed world full of amusing and b-movie acted characters (which added to my enjoyment) in a game slyly aware of the ridiculousness of its own genre. Great quests, great graphics, great soundtrack, easy to play and therefore very relaxing just spending time in the world. Really, really loved it. That’s the main story and all of it’s side quests and treasure hunts done - into Blood & Wine and Hearts of Stone next.
    10/10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Updated OP with...

31. Ruiner
    18th August 2018 - 20th August 2018
    A very stylised cyberpunk isometric top down shooter and a jolly good one too.  You play as 'Puppy', a silent, masked man released from captivity by your handler and tasked with finding and releasing your brother.  A thin premise that solely exists to facilitate the mindless violence that ensues as you battle through several areas of a dystopian district, wreaking death with a variety of weapons at your disposal.  A plethora of bosses hinder your path, these can vary in difficulty which is where the frustration can kick in as you learn their attacks and what strategy is required to finish them.  You have a decent moveset though, and you are able to level up and unlock differing perks.  I finished the campaign on normal which was a stern challenge, I started straight on with new game+ which is set to very hard but you keep your level and perks.  I plan to go back and finish NG+ and also try my hand at the speed run.  Highly recommended game. 8.5

32. Call of Duty: WWII
    15th August 2018 - 25th August 2018
    A very slick and well produced CoD campaign, great looking cut scenes.  A fairly typical outing for the franchise; a bombastic, predictable shooting gallery, throw in a tank section, a plane section, some of WWII's 'greatest hits' scenarios and try and wrap it up in pathos to justify it all.  Not a bad campaign however, just typical of the series.  Multiplayer is again fairly typical, although they've ripped the social hub straight from Destiny and given it a WWII makeover.  War mode is new to the series and is an answer to Battlefield's Operations mode.  As it is objective based it is actually quite fun to play but it lives and dies on the strength of your team you get stuck with so a little luck is required here to be gifted team mates that actually PTFO.  There are a few other quirks to the leveling system this year, netcode can vary wildly and killcams really can highlight this.  I will probably prestige once and play the campaign again on Veteran, maybe squeeze in a few Zombies games and I think that will do. 7

33. Titanfall 2
    11th September 2017 - 27th August 2018
    As with CoD, another slick, well produced and good looking campaign, although this campaign now differs from the first by not being an online affair.  It suffered from my point of view by my starting of it last year and then not really sticking with it before finishing it recently.  I do plan to go back and do another run through on Master as it deserves this attention.  Probably deserved to sell more than it did although I do believe EA shafted it by releasing it within a congested window, however it improved technically and graphically on the first greatly, albeit with the initial impact of the first now lost.  I dipped into the multiplayer which was again very slick, although I do wonder if the purity of the first game was lost somewhat, the titans also felt a bit more fragile and throwaway than the hulking war machines they were in the first. 8

34. Halo 4
    13th December 2015 - 29th August 2018
    Nigh on three years it's taken me to go back, it was the level Shutdown that did it for me, zapped all enthusiasm I had for this game.  If memory serves me correctly until this level I was doing OK, the level or two before might have been when the rot started to set in, when battling the Forerunners really does begin to bog you down.  Shutdown just killed it for me, and I turned it off.  Tempted back by the news of MCC hitting Game Pass and of the 4k update, I decided to crush this bug that had crawled up my arse.  Loaded up Shutdown, and after some initial teeth gnashing and some fresh tactics, I beat it and pushed through till the end.  Bad enemies the Forerunners, a real grind to go up against, plus the game just makes you feel so vulnerable (on Heroic), too much sniping, hiding, waiting for shields to recharge to be any fun.  Not horrendous but not a highlight, looks cracking though.  Done.  6.5

35. InnerSpace
    1st September 2018 - 2nd September 2018
    You play Dennis Quaid, a naval pilot miniaturised and mistakenly (and hilariously) injected into the body of gorky, unassuming store clerk, Martin Short, while a pre annoying Meg Ryan hangs around waiting to turn into a bitch in years to come- oh no wait, that's Innerspace... this is InnerSpace, where you play Dennis Qua-.  Whilst maybe not the game of the film, this does share some similiarities to the film.  You are a small craft, able to fly through the air or submerge under water, your goal to release the demi gods imprisoned within the Inverse, an outside in inside out world.  Part puzzler and part exploration, you explore various regions of the Inverse and must unlock the demi god for each area before assisting with its release.  At several times during this game, I felt like a miniaturised Dennis Quaid, navigating the arteries and cavities of a befuddled Martin Short, the sometimes fiddly controls and camera bouncing me from pillar to post.  Beautiful in parts, confusing in others, this was a game with a message, possibly ecological, but it was pleasant and worth the 12 hours I spent with it. 7.5

I don't wish to jinx it but I dare say I might make the fabled fifty two.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • It is very good... dash, dash, kill, kill.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Slowed down as I've packed in the train gaming, but two finished today.

58. Captain Toad.
    59. Cuphead in co-op. 

No reviews yet, both get an [8] from me though.
  • Gremill wrote:
    The Witcher 3 - 214 hours. Pretty much my favourite game on Xbox and in my top 3 of all time. Absolutely loved it - incredibly detailed world full of amusing and b-movie acted characters (which added to my enjoyment) in a game slyly aware of the ridiculousness of its own genre. Great quests, great graphics, great soundtrack, easy to play and therefore very relaxing just spending time in the world. Really, really loved it. That’s the main story and all of it’s side quests and treasure hunts done - into Blood & Wine and Hearts of Stone next. 10/10

Top stuff.

Really need to play through the game again as I've not done Blood and Wine yet.  Big undertaking though!

Princess Remedy In A Heap Of Trouble

This Steam game is not a big undertaking.  It's a top down shooter, mostly, that looks and plays like a 1980's computer game, though it's much easier than that suggests.  It's mostly a black screen with brightly coloured sprites.  It has a pleasant sense of humour.  It's 45 minutes of dynamite.

Don't really have much to say about it; it's $1 and is perfectly fine for that price.  Bought it several months ago and likely wouldn't have played it because of this thread.
  • Fuck, I'm gonna have to stick with ruiner, aren't I?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yes puppy, you are. Were you not getting on with it?
  • See currently playing. I'm undecided.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • 60. The Messenger done, along with my Toad & Cuphead opinions.
  • That's the original Life Is Strange done.

As lovely as I remembered, especially episodes 2 and 3.  I think they represent the peak of these episodic, largely narrative based, Choose-1-Of-2-Terrible-Things-That-Will-Happen games.

Only complaints are that there are a couple of gameplay challenge bits.  They are not good.  I had a few problems with the sound dropping out in the final chapter and there were some animation bugs that took the edge off some emotional scenes.  Sometimes bits of the story didn't add up, like the game didn't quite account for all my choices.  That's about it.

I chose the game's non cannon ending.  I only replayed the game since I'd played Before The Storm recently.  I did the proper ending last time.  Brief spoilers tags below cover both games' endings.
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I'm claiming The End is Nigh, a [9] or [10].

Which brings me to 40!
  • I'm having that too then, as agreed, as we're on the same section.  61.  I gave it a stingy [8] in my GotY list for 2017 iirc, but I've played more since.  It's maybe a bit too wall nuttingly hard for a [9] though, the only real enjoyment is the euphoria of success.  Very good game though.
  • 64. Monkey Tennis.
  • Cross posting from the 52 games thread because it's probably been lost in the EShop haystack, but Bulb Boy is quite good, honest.  
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bulb Boy - Switch Yeah yeah.  But aha!  It's actually quite good, despite sounding like the sort of thing that might be suggested as a fake 'Moot plays' game.  I took a gamble at £3.29, expecting a short point and click after a quick glance at a couple of reviews.  Turns out it's more of a Zack & Wiki thing, minus the motion controls - the puzzles are played out scene by scene and the 'to-do' list will consist of maybe 5 or 6 interactions per area.  Pick up this, combine it with that, use item to progress etc, all while controlling the character rather than a pointer.  Visual style is a miss on paper, like some sort of Ren & Stimpy/Boogerman hybrid, but it's actually close to charming once you get going.  As charming as a game with a giant poo monster could be, anyway.  I can't go higher than a [6], but it's a good 6 and I really enjoyed both hours I spent with it.
  • Or not cross posting, because this isn't the Switch thread.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A Moot [6] = a normal person's [4].  Avoid.
  • I hope to add my first completion since GoW months ago. Into The Breach, such a great game. GotY contender.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 65. Space Invaders Extreme - DS
  • 7. Into The Breach (Switch)

Brilliant turn based strategy game that everyone shouldn’t play cos it’s so damn good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!